10 Things You Didn’t Know About The Golden Globes
This Sunday, Hollywood’s biggest and brightest stars will walk the red carpet in Beverly Hills, get drunk, and have a blast at The Golden Globe Awards. While we’re all accustomed to borderline inappropriate jokes, amazing fashion, and heartfelt acceptance speeches, there’s a lot of things that go on behind-the-scenes that you never knew about!
1. In the past there were two Miss Golden Globes. One for TV and one for film. Now there is just one, and is traditionally the daughter of a star.
2. The first recipients of the Golden Globes, when they began in 1943, went home with scrolls noting their achievement, not statues.
3. Since 1961, the award ceremony has been held at the Beverly Hills Hilton hotel.
4. Jamie Foxx holds the record for most nominations in one year. In 2005 he was nominated for three awards for three separate projects.
5. The most famous fashion disaster in Golden Globe history is Laura Flynn Boyle’s ballerina tutu get up she wore in 2003.
6. After winning an award for Best Performance by an Actress at the 1999 ceremony, Angelina Jolie jumped into the hotel’s Aqua Star Pool to celebrate—still wearing her gown.
7. The Golden Globe statue is plated in 24-karat gold.
8. The statue weighs 5.5 pounds.
9. There are 25 categories awards are given out to.
10. Meryl Streep can be considered a Golden Globe queen with 29 nominations and 8 wins over the span of her career.