Cruel Intentions Fast Facts You Didn’t Know
In the 15+ years since Cruel Intentions hit the silver screen, it has amassed a cult fan base that hasn’t gone anywhere. Regardless of how many times you’ve seen the movie, or if you’re gearing up to watch it for the first time, here’s 15 facts about the movie that will make your jaw drop.
1. Cult indie-film, Welcome to the Dollhouse, acted as a springboard of inspiration for the screenplay which was then written in 12 days.
2. Katie Holmes was initially up for the role of Annette, but it ultimately went to Reese Witherspoon after co-star and fiance, Ryan Phillippe, along with director, Roger Kumble begged her to take the role.
6. The sex scene between Annette and Sebastian was supposed to be set to a Smashing Pumpkins song, but Billy Corgan refused to sell the rights and was replaced with The Counting Crows “Colorblind.”
9. The string of spit between the kiss shared by Sarah and Selma was a complete accident.
10. Speaking of accidents, during the break-up scene between Annette and Sebastian, the slap was unscripted and happened in the heat of the moment.
11. The break up scene was so upsetting to Ryan, he threw up while shooting it.
12. “Bittersweet Symphony” almost didn’t make it due to The Rolling Stones owning the rights. It obviously made it in…after the studio paid out BIG bucks to use it.
13. Sarah Michelle Gellar and Ryan Phillippe’s roles in I Know What You Did Last Summer helped land them parts in Cruel Intentions.
14. The movie was originally titled Cruel Inventions, but was changed after a focus group said it sounded like a weird Science-fiction project.
15. There was enough buzz that Cruel Intentions was turned into a play.