10 Things You Didn’t Know About 10 Things I Hate About You
Of all the teen movies in all the land, 10 Things I Hate About You stands out as a classic. Adapted from Shakespeare’s Taming Of The Shrew, it served as a platform to showcase the talent of hot, up and coming young actors who were just getting their real start in the movie biz. Sure we’ve all watched it a zillion times, imitated Julia Stiles drunk table dance and shed a few tears over the loss of Heath Ledger, but the following 10 facts are probably things you never knew about this timeless teen flick!
1. The movie’s screenwriters also penned Legally Blonde.
2. Josh Hartnett and Ashton Kutcher were also in the running for the role of Patrick, which Heath Ledger ultimately won.
3. The entire film was shot at various locations, meaning, no sets were built to make the movie.
4. The high school where the movie was once a railroad station hotel.
5. Post-10 Things, Heath was offered multiple roles in teen movies, but he turned them down because he didn’t want to be a type-cast actor.
6. Speaking of Heath, the classroom scene where he’s playing with fire, was totally improvised.
7. Julia Stiles can thank her drunk table dance in 10 Things for winning her role in Save The Last Dance.
8. The red Dodge Dart Julia drives in the movie belonged to Heath in real life.
9. James Cameron was inspiration for Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s character name, Cameron James.
10. The tears during Julia’s poem reading were unscripted.