10 Things You Didn’t Know About Adventureland
When warm weather hit, it’s standard to revisit some of your favorite summer themed movies. On that list is 2009’s Adventureland starring Kristen Stewart and Jesse Eisenberg. Set in a theme park, the movie focuses on recent college grad James, who is stuck in town to earn money for his fall move to NYC and meets the gorgeous and down-to-earth Em, whom he falls for quickly. The quirky, cute, and hilarious flick is everything you’d want to kick off three months of freedom, but you probably didn’t know these 10 behind-the-scenes fast facts!
1. Even though the movie is set during summer, it was shot during the winter months.
2. Speaking of winter, there was a crew on hand to remove and hide snowfall during filming.
3. Bill Hader and Kristen Wiig shot all their scenes in 4 days due to their demanding Saturday Night Live schedule.
4. The real Adventureland park is located in Farmingdale, New York on Long Island.
5. However, Adventureland was filmed in Pittsburgh, PA at Kennywood Park. The rides shown in the movie are actual rides, but the game names were changed.
6. The 1961 hit by Del Shannon, “Hats Off to Larry,” was the inspiration for one of the park games.
7. This was the first of three movies Kristen Stewart and Jesse Eisenberg have shot together.
8. One of the scenes cut form the movie was an elaborate plan Kristen’s character came up to sneak into dance club Razzmatazz.
9. Even with major star power attached to the film, it was considered to be a box office flop.
10. Ian Harding from Pretty Little Liars makes a cameo in the film. He’s the guy who calls Jesse Eisenberg, “carnival boy.”