10 Things You Never Knew About Empire Records
Empire Records may not have been a hit at the box office when it debuted in 1995, but it has since turned into a major cult classic. That’s 21 years of quotes, laughter and most of all: music! The movie has been my number one favorite since childhood and it just gets better with age, including its killer soundtrack filled with 90’s alternative gems! Though we “damned the man” years ago, here are 10 facts you probably didn’t know about the beloved 90’s flick!
1. Coyote Shivers was actually Liv Tyler‘s step-dad at the time of filming as he was married to Tyler’s mom, Bebe Buell.
2. Angelina Jolie almost played the part of Deb. Can you imagine?!
3. Tobey Maguire was cast but was cut out due to personal reasons. Looks like he’s doing okay.
4. Producers wanted Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong for the part of Berko but his touring schedule wouldn’t allow it. Not sure how that would have worked…
5. Renée Zellweger and Rory Cochrane were dating at the time of shooting. Aww!
6. Rex Manning Day is celebrated on April 8th in honor of Kurt Cobain since it was the day his body was found. The movie was filmed during that same year.
7. Maxwell Caulfield‘s daughter is the ballet dancer that Mark tries to kiss. I always thought she resembled Drew Barrymore…
8. Just about everyone on set had a crush on Liv Tyler, especially Ethan Embry. Who wouldn’t, though?
9. Robin Tunney actually shaved her head for the role of Deb! Bad ass!
10. The original building is still there on Front Street in downtown Wilmington, NC! Full interior scenes were filmed on a sound stage at nearby Screen Gems Studios. Definitely on my bucket list of things to see!