Date Night: The Perfect Night In
So you’ve got a date and you’re really excited…. Now what? If you’re not the designated date planner, just sit back and let the magic happen. It’s nice having someone plan things for you every now and then, so enjoy it! If you’re planning the date and have no idea what to do, here’s my suggestion for the perfect night in. The options vary slightly based on age and your living situation…
*This advice may not be right for everyone. It’s just my opinion!
Step 1: Food & Bevs
Under 21, Living at Home: Go to the store and get some snacks, but think outside the box. Instead of nachos and salsa, get something that requires a little more effort. You could get all the “fixins” to build the ultimate ice cream sundaes to share or even get fresh ingredients to build your own homemade pizzas. I am a firm believer in food being an awesome way to get to know someone and bring you closer.
21+ With Your Own Place: There are few things sexier than a person who can cook! So you’re making dinner, baby! The key here is to do something that looks and tastes impressive but is hard to screw up and doesn’t take a ton of focus. I’d suggest either getting your main dish from the fresh premade section in a local nice grocery store (like Wegman’s) or going with something easy like steak or stuffed peppers, depending on yours and your date’s taste. Then make the sides fresh. I don’t want to go off on a full-on tangeant here with 10,000 recipes but here are a couple suggestions of my favorite easy meals!
- Espresso rubbed steak (buy the espresso steak rub, let it sit on the meat for a couple hours, then cook away), kale cut up and baked with a little cesar dressing for 10 minutes at 350 and new potatoes with a little oil and lipton onion soup mix (easiest recipe of all time).
- Ready to cook portabella mushrooms stuffed with crab meat (bought from wegmans), spinach salad
- Salmon with lemon, butter, salt & pepper served with the baked ceasar kale and summer squash sautéed with salt & pepper and a little butter.
- Drink Wine. Always wine when you can. Apparently it’s an aphrodisiac, but either way… it’s delicious and classy. (If you’re not doing dinner, get all kinds of fancy cheeses, olives, crackers, chocolate and stuff that goes with wine. Make a pretty spread out of it.)
Step 2: Getting dressed.
Yes, this is a requirement. Don’t want to give your date the wrong idea. 😉
Wear something casual but put some effort into it. You’re not going to a fancy dinner, so save your sunday best.
- Ladies – not just jeans and a hoodie.
- Guys – No sweatpants and make sure your pants fit right!
Step 3: Smell Delicious
You would think this would go without saying but make sure you smell awesome and brushed your teeth. Don’t overdo it on the cologne/perfume, but wear a little. Smell is a great trigger for memory. Make them remember that awesome cologne or perfume and think of you.
Step 4: Conversation
Dating is about having fun and getting to know someone to figure out if they might be your counterpart. At least that’s how I’ve always seen it. You may meet your match when you’re 16 or when you’re 35. So welcome the conversation, open up, be yourself and allow your date to be theirself too. If they don’t like you for who you are, they’re not worth your time. So… conversation! Nothing too weird for a first date, but genuinely make an effort to put yourself out there, be confident and get to know more about what’s underneath the surface. Asking about family is usually a good place to start…. And so is food. Food is a great conversation starter. See where the conversation takes you, have fun, laugh and don’t be afraid to show your weird side.
Step 5: Movie time
Choose something funny. Laughing together is the best way to get to know each other and build confidence around one another. Also, I’m a firm believer that the best relationships are built on a great friendship. So, save the scary movies for another day and get some laughs. Plus, there’s nothing better than cuddling up under a big blanket with someone you like.
- This is 40
- She’s Out Of Your League
Step 6: Adventure
Go wandering together. Get a little lost. Look at the stars. Bring a blanket. Watch the sunrise together if you feel so inclined.