Happy Birthday Shirley Manson: 10 Facts About The Rock Goddess
Garbage frontwoman, Shirley Manson, is celebrating her birthday today! In honor of my favorite woman in music, I put together a list of 10 facts about the rock goddess that some of you may or may not have known. Enjoy and don’t forget to tweet Shirley a Happy Birthday at @garbage on Twitter!
1. Born Shirley Ann Manson on August 26, 1966 in Edinburgh, Scotland.
2. Her musical career began in her teens when she was approached to perform backing vocals and keyboards for Scottish band, Goodbye Mr. Mackenzie.
3. Was a member of rock band Angelfish, which ultimately led her to her big break in Garbage.
4. After seeing Manson in Angelfish’s video for “Suffocate Me” broadcast only once on MTV‘s 120 Minutes, the men of Garbage invited Manson to record vocals on a few of their songs. The rest they say, is history!
5. In 2006, Manson began to write and record solo material after Garbage was put on hiatus. The album unfortunately never saw the light of day due to her record company’s idea of making that one big “hit.”
6. In 2008, she was cast in her first acting role as Catherine Weaver in the second and final season of Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicals.
7. Manson was bullied while in school, causing her to suffer from depression and engage in self-injury.
8. In 2009, Manson announced she would retire from music, claiming she got sick of the music industry’s new practices. (Thank God that didn’t last!! :D)
9. In May 2010, Manson married record producer and Garbage sound engineer Billy Bush. (No, not the Access Hollywood guy….)
10. She is an inspiration to Garbage fans all around the world for her strength, courage and headstrong attitude. <—- Seriously, I owe this woman everything. <3
Which fact about Shirley surprised you the most?