Amy Winehouse: Death By… Alcohol Poisoning?

Three months after the tragic death of singer-songwriter Amy Winehouse, the cause of her death has finally been revealed. No, it wasn’t the drugs this time – it was the alcohol, as suspected by those close to Amy. It was found out that Amy’s blood alcohol level was more than four times the legal limit at the time of her death.

E! Online reports that British coroner Suzanne Greenway announced today that the 27-year-old songstress suffered a “death by misadventure” on that fateful July 23, and that her death was an “unintended consequence” of accidental alcohol poisoning. As for the exact numbers, Suzanne told the St. Pancras Coroners Court at today’s inquest hearing that the singer had 416 mg of alcohol per 100 ml of blood. The legal limit in Britain is 80 mg.

Amy’s family released a statement, saying: “It is some relief to finally find out what happened to Amy. We understand there was alcohol in her system when she passed away, it is likely a build up of alcohol in her system over a number of days.”

“The court heard that Amy was battling hard to conquer her problems with alcohol and it is a source of great pain to us that she could not win in time. She had started drinking again that week after a period of abstinence.”

“It underlines how important our work with the Amy Winehouse Foundation is to us, to help as many young people and children as we can in her name.”

“It means a lot to us and from the overwhelming messages of support we have had since Amy died, we know she meant a great deal to people all over the world. We want to thank everyone for that and for their continuing enthusiasm for the Foundation.”

Are you surprised at the coroner’s report?