10 Weird Facts About PROM: Who Will You Be Going With?
Prom is an original Disney movie that tells several intersecting stories set at the fictional Brookside High as the big dance approaches. The film portrays the precarious passage from high school to independence as some relationships unravel while others ignite.
For Nova Prescott (played by Aimee Teegarden), it’s a battle of wills as she finds herself drawn to bad boy Jesse Richter (played by Thomas McDonell), the guy who gets in the way of her perfect prom. Fellow seniors Mei (played by Yin Chang) and Tyler (played by Jared Nixon) harbor secrets, while others face all the insecurity and anticipation that surrounds one of high school’s most seminal events.
Want the lowdown on Prom before the big day? Buzznet attended Prom’s press day this weekend and got to sit down with the stars of the film, getting some exclusive information about Prom. Here are ten tidbits that surround Prom:Sitting in the auditorium at Prom’s press day. The sign is in the movie!
1. Director Joe Nussbaum’s past directing experiences include 2004’s Sleepover with Alexa Vega and the 2007 Amanda Bynes movie Sydney White, so he’s quite the expert on teen movies – making him the ideal candidate to direct Prom.
2. Thomas McDonell (Jesse) was born into a family of writers. His mother told him to not become a writer. Thomas became an actor – although his brother became a writer!
3. At the beginning of working on Prom, director Joe gave the cast an assignment: to watch John Hughes’ Pretty in Pink and The Breakfast Club and Cameron Crowe’s Say Anything. Kylie Bunbury (Jordan) had no problem with that: her favorite high school movie is Pretty in Pink.
4. Yin Chang (Mei) flew solo at her prom, opting to go stag rather than bring a date. She also spent her entire prom “sitting there, eating as always.” What can she say? She LOVES food!
5. Although Prom takes place in Michigan, it was shot in and around Los Angeles. The school that represented the exterior and many of the interiors of Brookside High School was the same one used in John Hughes’ Pretty in Pink, as well as Nightmare on Elm Street and Teen Wolf.
6. The Prom soundtrack from Hollywood Records features new music from hotshots including Allstar Weekend, Travie Mccoy, Neon Trees – as well as music from Prom stars Thomas McDonell (who plays Jesse), whose band Moon wrote and recorded the song “Time Stand” and Nolan Sotillo (who plays Lucas) sings on the track “We Could Be Anything.”
7. Aimee Teegarden’s (Nova) favorite high school movie is An Education, starring Carey Mulligan.
8. While many of the cast members are past the high school age, cast members Joe Adler (Rolo), Janelle Ortiz (Ali), Nolan Sotillo (Lucas), Cameron Monaghan (Corey) and Danielle Campbell (Simone) are all still in high school.
9. Jared Nixon’s character Tyler asks his girlfriend to prom in the sweetest of ways. The sweetest thing Jared’s ever done was take his girlfriend to an Elton John concert, which meant a lot to his girlfriend because their song was Elton John’s “Tiny Dancer.” How adorable!
10. Disney’s Prom may be set in present times, but it isn’t overly saturated with a lot of pop culture references. Sure, they show the kids with their cell phones and one shot of Facebook, but other than that, there isn’t much slang or overuse of pop culture.
Prom hits theaters April 29th. Who will you be going with?
– Reporting by Patty Gopez