might be very confusing but i thought it was pretty realistic...
Brushing my fingers against the dusty glass i looked at the sinister view outside, all the human constructions were erased to the ground, cars and other vehicles burning down creating even more heat, children walking down the roads hungry and too tired to even cry, adults were standing here and there armed and ready to kill each other for any possible reason and than there was the desert and sun and nothing more. That’s how it has been for about five years now, after the World War 3 begun people had gone crazy, politicians had betrayed their promises and shared all the gains between them leaving entire populations with no food and water. Everyone also knew that the end was near, the planet had enough of being destroyed and seeing her children die. There was no laws and nothing mattered.
Sighing softly I averted my gaze from window and looked down at my hands which had deep cuts here and there, those were already healed but left scars, my skin wasn’t pale anymore, it had at last been ten years of never ending summer and I had a tan now, this is really ironic because I didn’t care that much anymore. I don’t know if anyone besides me was affected y the daily violence and people’s cruelness but it did hurt me, there was just nothing I could do against it. The only thing I could hope for and the actual reason why we were driving down this dusty road under the rain of bullets and possible attacks was to find my parents who disappeared four years ago.
I was eighteen at that time and my parents were archeologists and after finding out about the so called world’s treasure they packed their bags and left not even caring about the war. They did love me but I had no power to keep them home because for them finding that treasure was resolving the mystery of the life on earth, maybe like the others they had gone crazy. But no matter what I wanted to find them and even just to hold them in my arms before this planet would be erased from the solar system, I didn’t care, I just had to say goodbye to them.
An other sigh escaped my lips, I was already used to the shaking van and the six of us squeezed in it. The heat was unbearable but all of us got used to it, we didn’t even remember what rain felt like and the place we were driving too was like an oasis, there was still animals and vegetation which didn’t exist anywhere else, it was like heaven, maybe my parents just lived there deciding to escape from the war, I wouldn’t blame them than , if they were still alive of course.
I leaned my head on my boyfriends chest and sighed deeply, I smiled softly as he handed me some water, it wasn’t exactly clear but that’s all we had.
- It’s okay, I’m not thirsty, I smiled and looked up at him, he gave me a look and removed the cap from the water bottle urging me to take a sip.
- Thank you, I whispered giving in and took a small sip handing him the bottle.
- Sleep if you want to, he whispered into my hair and wrapped his tanned strong arms around my small frame, I really wanted to just close my eyes and drift away than maybe wake up and realize that everything was a dream and Josh’s embrace felt so relaxing but I couldn’t just sleep.
- No I don’t want to, I whispered and chuckled to myself at Emily snoring quietly in Zac’s arms, the poor guy he looked like he was about to pass out as well.
- You always have to be so stubborn, Josh whispered and planted a kiss against my neck which caused me to shiver even though I was suffocating, I heard Josh chuckle, he lifted my shin and looked into my eyes for a moment before pressing his lips to mine causing my eyes to flutter shut. The van abruptly stopped causing all of us to panic, I saw a group of armed men blocking our way. One of them pointed his gun at Jeremy who was driving, our friend pulled his hand up showing that he was giving in and had no gun with him or what so ever but of course now everyone had a gun and we had one hidden under the seat where me and Josh were actually sitting.
- Vous ne pouvez pas passer! One of the man snapped as he ripped open the door on Jeremy’s side of the van, the two others started searching for something as the opened the back doors, Josh held me close and I tried to be calm.
- Why, what’s wrong? Zac demanded, by now we all could understand different languages even if we spoke our own language.
- This is our territory, the lead one said with a French accent.
- If we give you something could you let us go? Taylor asked from the passengers seat.
- Zac, I’m scared, Emily whispered grasping into Zac’s shirt, he held her close but I could see the fear in his eyes, Emily was four month pregnant and in those conditions anything could happened, we all wanted this baby to be okay but we knew that there was a slim chance that this baby could survive even a month.
- What do you have? The man who still had his gun pointed at Jeremy asked, his eyes roamed our van until I felt his stare on me, I quickly looked away feeling my heart hammer against my rib cage, Josh’s grip tightened around me.
- Money, we have money, Taylor said and dug under his seat pulling out a bag, he unzipped it, look, you can have all of-
- Are you Italian? The man asked looking at Josh, I was confused.
- Yes, Josh answered, the man’s eyes set on me, I felt so disguised as he eyed me.
- Is your girlfriend Italian too? He asked, I could tell he had something going on in his mind.
- Um no, she’s American, Josh answered, I looked at him in disbelief, if they found out that I was American they’d kill me, French and Americans were enemies since both of the countries couldn’t find a way to share the land equally. I could see a smirk dancing on the man’s cracked lips.
- Josh, what the hell? Zac shouted at his brother, I looked at Josh who’s eyes looked calm, he just betrayed me and he was so calm.
- Why did you- I started but felt a hand on my shoulder, I turned my head to see the man on our side of the van, he smirked me at me.
- We want her, he simply said.
- No that’s impossible, Jeremy said with a laugh trying to act cool, I was in panic as Josh reminded silent.
- Or maybe her than? The man asked pointing his gun at Emily who screamed and held into Zac.
- Don’t you fucking dare! He snapped.
- That’s what I though, he man smirked and suddenly grabbed me by the hair, I yelped in pain and squeezed my eyes shut.
- Don’t touch her! Josh finally said, a tear rolled down my cheek, take me but don’t touch her, he said more calmly.
- But I don’t need you, the man laughed his accent more obvious, I’d like a piece of the red head though, he hissed into my ear, my eyes snapped open and I started at Josh because I felt him reaching out for the gun under our seat, I knew it was too dangerous, we only had one gun, there is no way we could pull up with those man.
- You can have all the money! Taylor snapped turning to us from the front of the van, he held out the bag for the man to take. I felt the grip on my hair loose before he let go, I felt relief as he grasped the bag cussing under his breath in French.
I started down blankly as tears rolled down my face, I ignored Josh’s arms wrap around me tightly, he pulled me closer to the point that his face was buried into the crock of my neck, I chewed hard into my lip trying my best to be calm.
- I’m so sorry, Josh whispered, I felt his chest move up and down quickly, my heart tingled as I felt his tears against my skin, you know that I would’ve never let them take you away from me. It was hard to believe but I knew he was saying the truth, he wasn’t going to let them take me, he’d fight if he had to.
- It’s okay, don’t blame yourself, I whispered as I turned around and hugged him, It’s not your fault, I whispered and kissed him softly.
- I love you, he repeated over and over again as he kissed my forehead and held me close, I saw Taylor glare at Josh and Jeremy shaking his head lightly, I closed my eyes and buried my face into Josh’s chest hearing Emily’s soft crying. I didn’t know how long we had before the apocalypse but I couldn’t give up just yet, for my parents, for the one’s that decided to take this never ending trip just to find them and for Josh who I knew loved me to death.