HIM's drummer Mika "Gas" Karppinen has been forced to take a long sick leave due to a rare medical condition. He has been suffering from it for about three months now.
The nasty and painful illness showed its first signs at the end of the summer, when HIM was in the studio working on new material. Gas' hands started to get very sore and playing was hard.
Gas went to see a doctor in August and both of his hands were diagnosed with forearm splints. Splints usually refers to pain and inflammation in lower legs, but it can occur in hands as well. Forearm splints is a rare and a painful condition. Gas has been on a sick leave for three months and the sick leave is going to continue for another month or so.
The daily life of the drummer has also suffered because of the splints.
- At the beginning I wasn't able to carry much anything. Sometimes it got so bad that I couldn't lift up anything heavier than a coffee mug, Gas says.
According to Gas he is suffering from a stress injury. Stress injuries in arms are typical injuries for drummers, but usually they just suffer from tenosynovitis. Forearm splints is a rare condition even when it comes to drummers.
- It's a result of playing too much. We made new songs in the summer and played all the time, Gas says.
What makes Gas' condition even more unfortunate is the fact that HIM's songwriting process has been on hold for months and will most likely stay so until December. HIM has been on a break since summer 2010. They started working on new material this year.
- My condition has definitely slowed us down, although Ville has been writing new songs all the time, Gas says.
Gas is slowly recovering, but he won't be going back to the studio until December at the earliest.
- I'm still recovering, so it's hard to estimate when I'll be completely okay. I've been playing a bit by myself for some time now, but I have to be really careful about it, because I don't want to harm the recovery process. But I'm definitely doing better and better all the time.
- Luckily you're able to recover from this illness completely if you just take your time and don't do anything stupid. I just have to take it easy for some time, Gas says.
HIM-yhtyeen rumpali Mika "Kaasu" Karppinen on joutunut pitkälle sairauslomalle harvinaisen taudin t...