10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Charlize Theron
Model-turned-Actress Charlize Theron is probably quite used to being in the spotlight by now – and not only for her looks. She was praised for her gritty portrayal of Aileen Wuornos in 2003’s Monster by winning an Oscar and a Golden Globe, and gained further critical acclaim for her role in 2005’s North Country. She is on pretty much every ‘Sexiest Woman of the Year’ list, has us geared up to see her as Queen Ravenna in Snow White and the Huntsman, and has most recently taken on the role of mommy by adopting son Jackson.
We know that Charlize can transcend the barriers of any sort of “type-casting”, that she has triumphed both the fashion and film industry, and that at this moment she must feel on top of the world. With all of the things we do know about her, here are 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Charlize Theron:
1. Charlize began modeling at the age of 14.
2. She successfully quit smoking cigarettes by undergoing hypnosis.
3. Charlize was a prime ballet dancer, but was forced to end that career after a knee injury.
4. Theron was originally considered for the role of Satine in Moulin Rouge!, but ultimately lost out to Nicole Kidman.
5. When Charlize was 15, her mother shot and killed her father, Charlie, in self defense.
6. Born and raised in South Africa, Theron learned to speak English by watching American TV programs.
7. She suffers from OCD and must check every closet, locker, and drawer on the premesis of wherever she stays when away from home.
8. She was discovered by her manager while in a bank West Hollywood yelling at a teller who would not cash her check.
9. Charlize always speaks Africaans when talking to her mother, Gerda, who lives 2 minutes away from her own home in Los Angeles.
10. She beat out contenders Angelina Jolie and Winona Ryder for the role of Queen Ravenna in Snow White and the Huntsman, which hits theaters June 1st.