The Absolutely Disgusting “Women As Meat” Shirt
You know, it’s 2011. You figure by now we’d be a little farther along the “equality” escalator and be a little closer to treating each other like human beings.
And yet, there’s constantly some brat trying to run down the up escalator because, hey, it’s funny, right?
Case in point: the “carne” shirt from The Hundreds in LA. Why “carne” you might ask? Well, because, it depicts a woman as a piece of meat:
Even more disgusting: the description of the shirt:
Mmmm. Carne. Oh, sorry, I got a bit distracted there. Not that you really care, since you’re probably mesmerized by the lovely Shay Maria, but this one was inspired by vintage Mexican posters from butcher shops. See, you still don’t care. But you know you like the shirt. You just want to eat it up. Oh, and there’s a bomb print at the top back too.
I repeat: it is 2011. So why the HELL is something like this still not only acceptable, but seen as HILARIOUS? Violence against women and rape continue in part due to the social idea that women’s bodies are public property to be consumed…that we are pieces of meat.
Don’t think that’s a big deal? Well, here’s some facts from my go-to factoid site, DoSomething.org:
- One third of American women and one quarter of women worldwide will experience domestic/dating violence in their lifetime.
- Only 25% of all physical assaults perpetuated by intimate partners are reported to the police.
- Females who are 20-24 years of age are at the greatest risk for intimate partner violence.
And a few more from RAINN:
- 1 out of every 6 American women has been the victim of an attempted or completed rape in her lifetime
- Every 2 minutes, someone in the U.S. is sexually assaulted.
- 15 of 16 rapists will never see a day in jail.
So, yeah. This shirt? Not funny. Not funny AT ALL.